Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Not happy with how I handled my son

Yesterday, my 16 year old son found out that he is out of Lacrosse for 1 week (or more) due to a possible concussion.  He is feeling disappointed and frustrated about not being able to play in today's big game.  He had such a difficult morning getting ready for school and mouthed off quite a few times.  I should have just walked away, put some music on or left early for the gym. 

 Instead I went right into argument and made it 100 times worse than it needed to be.  What did I do? Yell back, Focus on his negative behavior and criticize him.  What should I have done? It is so important to remember as a parent that we are the teachers, the role model.  I truly could have more been patient, walked away, hugged him and let it all go.

I will tell him I am sorry and learn from this... .thank goodness I get a do over to be a better parent!

2 comments:

  1. Even though both my kids are under 4, I often find it hard to be the adult. I hold a grudge a lot longer than they do. It's good to know I'm not the only one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing about being a parent is learning from our kids!

    ReplyDelete